Do you ever look at a sign going down the road and think, “That is too much”? The key to designing signs, business cards, etc. is to make them stand out and not look too busy.
The less you use in designing the better. You want people to read your signs and cards.
Let's take a look at some Tips to show how less is more in Graphic Design.
- Often people think that every area of white space has to be filled. This is not the case. White space is okay!
- Don’t use too many effects. This will take away from the message you are trying to give.
- Avoid using more than 3 fonts per design. This will make your design look unprofessional and busy.
- Don’t choose a font just because you think it is cool. Be sure it goes with the theme and is the right height so that it is visible.
Letter Height Visibility Chart
- Avoid using too much information. If there is too much, potential customers will skip it all together. The less that is on your card or sign the more it attracts attention to your main points.
- When using graphics or pictures, make sure they look professional and only use one or two. Too many will make your design too busy.
- It’s important to have a focal point, something that draws your eye and then everything should flow out from there. You want your eyes to move to all parts of your design.
- When aligning your text, don’t feel like it has to be centered. Left or right justified looks more professional.
- Remember when choosing your colors, that different colors affect the way you feel.
- The best way to ensure that your text will be clear at a long distance is to use a high contrast color, such as White on Black. Blue on Green is more difficult to see from a distance.
11. When choosing colors for your company logo or any design project, it's important to look at the color wheel. You don't want to choose colors that are beside each other. Choose colors that are across from one another, so that they stand out and better.
12. One more important tip to remember is to trust your graphic designer! Their skills and experience will bring your images to reality. Don't be afraid to ask questions.
As you see there are many factors to consider when designing your company logo, business cards, signs and more.
At Creative Printing our friendly design team
is here to help you! So when you’re ready to begin your design, come on in and let us help you Get Creative.